With everything going on in our hectic lives, it can be easy to overlook self-care. But taking a little time each day to look after ourselves can make a big difference. So here are five quick tips for making self-care part of your daily routine.
As Matthew Walker reveals in his eye-opening TED talk, getting bad sleep doesn’t just leave you feeling groggy, it can affect everything from your mood to your memory and even your immune system.
Thankfully, there are several simple changes you can make to help promote good sleep, including:
- Keeping consistent bedtimes
- Getting natural light in the morning
- Avoiding caffeine, nicotine and alcohol in the evening
For more transformative tips, check out The Sleep Council’s advice and support hub. [https://sleepcouncil.org.uk/advice-support/]
Eating healthily doesn’t have to be an epic undertaking. Here are a few easy wins:
- Get a fast vitamin hit by whizzing frozen fruit and veg into a smoothie
- Swap cereal for porridge to cut out spoonfuls of sugar every day
- Allow yourself occasional treats for sustainable success, rather than trying to go ‘cold turkey’
You don’t have to become a powerlifter to feel the benefit of exercise. If you can’t get to a gym, why not try a home HIIT workout, or just do a few burpees while you’re waiting for the kettle to boil.
Clearing your mind
Meditation can make a massive difference to your mental wellbeing, and you can do it anytime, anywhere. Apps like Headspace offer lots of bitesize sessions you can do whenever you need a moment of calm. Try starting with one of the free meditations on their YouTube channel.
There’s only so much we can do on our own. With rare exceptions, we’re social creatures, so here are a few ways to top-up your togetherness:
- Schedule regular video calls: if it’s on the calendar, it’s more likely to happen.
- Reconnect with someone you’ve lost touch with. It’s surprising how often you can pick up where you left off.
- Find people who share your interests: starting a new hobby, or deepening an existing one, is a great way to connect with new people. And you’ll always have something to talk about.
Don’t feel you have to try every tip on the list. Even adding one new habit to your self-care practise can help you feel refreshed and revitalised.
And naturally, CBD also makes an excellent addition to your self-care routine.