Cooking and baking with CBD is a fun and engaging way to introduce the compound into your daily routine. You can easily add CBD oil to most recipes: add a few drops of CBD oil into cake or cookie batter or into savoury sauces like gravy for dinner.
With Halloween just around the corner, our CBD infused caramel apples and CBD infused chocolate truffles are sure to go down a treat.
CBD infused caramel apple recipe
- 8 apples (granny smiths are best)
- 435g light brown sugar
- 325g maple syrup
- 115g golden syrup
- 120ml double cream
- 60g unsalted butter
- 30 drops CBD oil, any strength or flavour
- Toppings of choice
- Lollipop or caramel apple sticks
- Candy thermometer
- Pastry brush
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper or grease a tray with butter.
- Wash and dry the apples.
- Insert a lollipop stick into the top of each apple.
- Place the sugar, maple syrup, golden syrup and cream into a saucepan.
- Bring the mixture to a boil over medium-high heat and cook.
- Keep the mixture from creeping up the side of the pan by brushing down the sides with a damp pastry brush.
- Swirl the pan, ensuring not to stir the mixture until it reaches 180C on a candy thermometer.
- Remove the pan from the heat, stirring in the butter and CBD oil. Too much stirring will create air bubbles.
- Cool for at least 10 minutes before dipping the apples, one by one, into the caramel sauce. (It may take up to 25 minutes for the mixture to be cool enough.)
- Scrape away any excess caramel from the bottom of each apple.
- Roll the apples in your topping of choice.
- Once you’ve coated all the apples in caramel, place them in the fridge for at least 15 mins before serving.
- Wrap them in cellophane to keep fresh and serve within the next week.
CBD infused chocolate truffle recipe
- 113g semisweet or bittersweet chocolate
- 2 ¼ tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 30ml bottle CBD Oil Drops - try adding orange flavoured CBD oil to make this recipe even more sensational!
- A pinch of fine sea salt
- 14.75g of unsweetened cocoa powder
- Chocolate sprinkles (decoration)
- Chop the chocolate into small pieces.
- Place the chocolate, butter, CBD drops, and salt into a bowl and set the bowl over a simmering pot of water or a bain marie.
- Stir the mixture until all the chocolate is melted and smooth.
- Pour the mixture into a bowl, cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours to harden.
- Remove the mixture from the refrigerator and let it stand at room temperature until it softens.
- Sprinkle the cocoa powder into a shallow cake tray. You can sprinkle 2 tablespoons of orange zest over the cocoa to add more flavour.
- Scoop a small amount of the melted chocolate mixture and roll it quickly, using your fingertips to create a round truffle, around 1 inch in diameter.
- Place the truffle inside the cocoa-sprinkled tray, shaking the tray to roll the truffle in the toppings.
- Repeat steps 7 and 8 until all the mixture has been used.
- Place the chocolate truffles in a sealed container in the freezer. Remove them around 10 minutes before serving.
Remember: ensure everyone knows these treats are CBD infused and keep them away from kids. For those who would prefer it, you can make both recipes without CBD oil.
It is also important to note that the boiling point of CBD is 160-180°C. Overheating CBD can affect its potency; as CBD heats up, it starts evaporating, promoting the compounds in the oil to break down. So whilst CBD does retain most of its nutritional benefits when baked and cooked, be mindful of overheating.
The bottom line: uncooked applications like protein balls or truffles are best for retaining all the beneficial properties of CBD; flavonoids, terpenes, and other cannabinoids. Avoid frying or sautéing as the increased heat will dissipate the benefits.
If you are looking to find out about the benefits of CBD oils, read this article.